FLORHAM PARK N.J. — An overview of what's happening around FLORHAM PARK:
1. Are you ready to strike?The Jets have had a great offseason. There is nothing extraordinary, just a few sound football moves. They were mapped out by a methodical general manger who has yet to get into the trading frenzy that the new NFL brings. Could that change in coming days?
Let's say that Joe Douglas, general manager, trades for a disgruntled wide receiverAndIt will be a trifecta of three for the ages, as the draft includes two plug-and play defenders.
The Jets would prefer to land Samuel without having give up one of their first-round picks (probably No. But that will be hard. One Jets Drive has a special feeling.If they made the moon available, the Jets would request it. The Jets have full access to the moon, i.e. A lot of draft capital.
“It’s a great position to be in,” Douglas said. “Obviously, there’s been a lot of moves made to be in this position. Unfortunately, we’ve had to trade some really good players to be in this position, but it’s a great opportunity to be part of any opportunity that comes up and have those discussions. If we are in the right situation, we could be there.
We know that the Jets were willing and able to trade two second-round picks for wide receivers, as well as a third-rounder.We know how much the Jets value a star WR1 because We also know that the Jets were willing to pay Hill a comparable four-year deal worth $120 million from the Jets. Sticker shock is not an issue.
• Mocks: | |
Samuel is wanted by the Jets, and has requested a trade. Sources say the 49ers have told people that they don't want to trade Samuel. But if there's one thing we have learned in this wild offseason it's that star players tend to get what they want. The Jets did the same thing 2 years ago with safety.Douglas made an offer to send a woman named Cathy, and she accepted.
If Samuel is available and the Jets manage to keep the fourth and tenth picks they would be in prime positions to acquire DE(Oregon), DE (Florida State), CB (Cincinnati), CB (LSU and S (Notre Dame).
Samuel will be the 10th rounder, but they may have to give up that pick. The Jets would still win, provided they keep their two second-rounders (35 & 38), which is a sweet spot for defense. They would look to address their safety needs with(Baylor), (Michigan), (Georgia). (Penn State). Pitre was coached by the Jets at Senior Bowl.
2. Deebo by numbers:Samuel is a rare talent, even though this is not an exaggerated statement. Check out these factoids from 2021, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:
He was the first player to have at least 1,400 yards receiving and 300 yards rushing in the same season.
His eight rushing touchdowns were the highest by any wide receiver in the season. It was also the first time since 1970 that a receiver had led his team in this category.
His YAC (yards following catch) per reception was 10.0. This is only the second time in 15 years that a qualified wideout has reached that level. Who was the first to achieve this feat? Samuel did it in 2020 (12.0).
On targets behind or at the line of scrimmage, he averaged 13.1 yards per reception. This was better than the average of 52 qualified wide receivers. AllLast season's targets
3. Don't do it:The Samuel trade may not be a straightforward decision for the Jets.
“Not only will you be spending high-end draft capital but you'll also have to give Deebo between $25 million and $30 million per year. The draft seems to be a better option for this as far as they are at the moment. You're not taking a boy at 10 who you hope will become Deebo Samuel. But you have to trust your scouting team and your draft board until you feel you can get the guy on a five-year contract that's less expensive than paying $25 million per annum.
4. Receiver madness:Samuel can change teams and three of the five All-Pro wide receivers will be traded. Hill and.
5. Wanted: Outliers.Douglas is known for his love of drafting athletes who perform well in athletic testing.
Five of the nine Jets picks who were graded by NFL Next Gen Stats last year were in the top 10 for “athleticism” at each position. NGS scores represent a prospect's measurables at the scouting combine or pro days relative to his position. (Offensive linesmen are not evaluated so there's no grade..) Score: 99 (99) were No. Both cornerback and defensive tackle were ranked No.
CB will be available in 2020(97), DE (83) and WR (85) were ranked in their respective positions as first, second, or third. (Guidry wasn't drafted.
“Obviously, you’re looking for unusual people,” Douglas said.
DEs are notable prospects who have scored among the top 10 in this year’s draft.(95). (86) and (74).
6. Beware:Walker is an intriguing prospect. There is so much talent and yet so little college production (only 9.5 career sacks). If he was drafted in the top 3 he would have the fewest number of sacks (only 9.5) among top-3 DE/OLBs.
7. Do you want to Dibs on Thibs!Thibodeaux was host by the Jets for a pre-draft visit. Thibodeaux came away from their visit with the conviction that Thibodeaux is a me-first man with a strong personality. Does Thibodeaux seem confident? They are confident, but not in a negative way. It comes down to a football decision with Thibodeaux., but “there's probably not a true headliner like you’ve had in the past,” assistant GM Rex Hogan said of the edge-rushing class, mentioning and the Bosa brothers.
I don’t know about you, but if I’m picking a guy fourth, I’d want him to be a headliner.
8. Did you know?A record eight teams are represented by multiple first round picks. What happens to teams after they have made two first-round picks?
In the 20 most recent drafts, it happened 71 times. Of the 71 teams that participated, 41 increased their win totals over the previous season. 19 of them made it to the playoffs.
9. Vote for SauceIt is always a smart thing to pay attention NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah. Douglas is a fan of Jeremiah's excellent insights. They worked together years ago as scouts in the Army.. Jeremiah was on a national conference phone call and I asked him about the Jets, the fourth pick, and other topics.
“For me, personally, Sauce Gardner, if he’s there at No. 4, I’d turn in the card and get myself a real difference-maker,” he said. “You come back at 10, if Jeremiah Johnson is there, that’s an opportunity for you. If not, I would hope he’d get a shot at one of those wideouts, with Drake London being my second option and Garrett Wilson being my first option.
“They’ve got to get difference-making players. They’ve got to get playmakers on this team. They’ve done a pretty solid job of building up kind of the foundation pieces, but you’ve got to get guys that teams fear. You’ve got to get some of those guys in this draft.”
10. The last word is:“Everyone in this room saw Carl's performance in training camp and OTAs last season and knew he would be an impact player. It is so exciting to see Carl back on the field, and have him roaring off of the edge. — Douglas on DELast season's Achilles tear caused him to miss the entire season.